How you earn rewards
Each card earns rewards differently. Part of choosing your card is deciding what type of rewards you want to get. With MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus MasterCard (QC), here’s how you earn rewards:
|Restaurants / Delivery||2 points|
|All Other Spend||1 point|
How much your rewards are worth
The dollar value of your rewards depends on the specific MBNA rewards program and what you choose to redeem your points for.
For MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus MasterCard (QC) in particular, if you spend $2,000.00 per month, here’s our estimated rewards earned depending on which reward you choose:
|Redemption method||Annual rewards|
|Redeem for travel||$336.00|
|Electronics gift cards||$332.64|
|Cash – World Elite||$278.88|
|Cash – Platinum Plus||$168.00|
Calculating your annual rewards
$24,000.00 annual spending x $1.40% return on spending = $336.00 annual rewards
$336.00 annual rewards – $0.00 annual fee = $$336.00 net annual rewards
Details and eligibility
|Do I qualify?|
|Estimated Credit Score||725 – 759|
|Extra Card Fee||$0|
|Extended Warranty||1 year|
|Purchase Protection||90 days|
|Mobile Phone Insurance||1000|
MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus MasterCard (QC) Review
The MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus MasterCard (QC) is a popular credit card option in Canada, especially for those who want to maximize their earning potential across various categories of spending. This review will cover its earning potential, four major benefits, two drawbacks, and additional relevant information for potential users to make the most informed decision.
1. Earning potential with the card: The MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus MasterCard (QC) allows users to earn points on their everyday purchases. Cardholders earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible grocery, dining, and transportation purchases, as well as 1 point for every $1 spent on all other eligible purchases. This diversified reward system allows users to accumulate points quickly in various spending categories.
2. Benefit 1: One major advantage of this card is its attractive welcome offer. New cardholders can receive 10,000 bonus points after making a minimum of $500 in net retail purchases within the first 90 days of account opening. This translates to around $50 in cash back, which can be a great incentive for new users to start using the card.
3. Benefit 2: The second major advantage of this card is that there is no annual fee. This means that cardholders can enjoy all the benefits and rewards without having to worry about an additional cost every year. This makes the MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus MasterCard (QC) an affordable option for those looking for a rewards credit card with no added costs.
4. Benefit 3: The third major advantage is its wide range of redemption options. Cardholders can redeem their points for various reward options, including travel, brand-name merchandise, gift cards, and even cash back, giving users the flexibility to choose the rewards that best suit their lifestyle.
5. Benefit 4: Lastly, this card comes with several added perks, including purchase protection and extended warranty coverage. These features can provide peace of mind when shopping, as cardholders know they are covered in case of accidental damage or theft of their purchases, as well as receiving an extended warranty on eligible items.
6. Drawback 1: A significant drawback to the MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus MasterCard (QC) is the point caps on the 2x bonus categories. Cardholders are limited to earning 2 points per $1 spent on eligible grocery, dining, and transportation purchases up to a combined maximum amount of $5,000 per calendar year. After reaching the cap, the earning rate drops to the standard 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
7. Drawback 2: Another drawback is that the card lacks some travel insurance benefits that are typically found in other rewards cards, such as trip cancellation, interruption, or baggage loss insurance. For individuals who frequently travel, this may be a disadvantage to consider when selecting a credit card.
In conclusion, the MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus MasterCard (QC) provides a strong earning potential on various categories of spending, with several valuable benefits and flexible redemption options. However, potential users should be aware of the point caps on bonus categories and the lack of certain travel insurance benefits. Overall, this card can be a great option for those looking to add a rewards-focused credit card to their wallet without having to worry about annual fees.
Interested in other credit cards? Canadians that like the MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus MasterCard (QC) credit card also like the MBNA Smart Cash World MasterCard. If you’re looking for other options you should consider the MBNA Smart Cash Platinum Plus MasterCard, and the MBNA True Line Gold MasterCard.
- Interest-Free Grace Period: 21 days
- Balance Transfer Offer: 5.9% for the first 6 months
- APR for Purchases: 19.99%
- APR for Cash Advances: 22.99%
- Minimum Credit Limit: $500
- Online Account Management: 24/7 access
- Mobile Wallet Compatibility: Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay
- Monthly Statement: Paper or E-Statement option
- Customer Service Availability: Phone and email support, Mon-Fri
- Purchase Protection: Covers new items against theft or damage for 90 days
- Extended Warranty: Doubles manufacturer’s warranty, up to an extra year
- Complimentary Card: Option to add authorized users with no additional fee