How you earn rewards
Each card earns rewards differently. Part of choosing your card is deciding what type of rewards you want to get. With Scotiabank Scene Visa Card for Students, here’s how you earn rewards:
|Specific Stores||2 points|
|All Other Spend||1 point|
How much your rewards are worth
The dollar value of your rewards depends on the specific Scotiabank rewards program and what you choose to redeem your points for.
For Scotiabank Scene Visa Card for Students in particular, if you spend $2,000.00 per month, here’s our estimated rewards earned depending on which reward you choose:
|Redemption method||Annual rewards|
|Redeem for travel||$252.00|
|Apply to statement credit||$176.40|
|Apple / BestBuy||$194.04|
Calculating your annual rewards
$24,000.00 annual spending x $1.05% return on spending = $252.00 annual rewards
$252.00 annual rewards – $0.00 annual fee = $$252.00 net annual rewards
Details and eligibility
|Do I qualify?|
|Estimated Credit Score||300 – 559|
|Extra Card Fee||$0|
Scotiabank Scene Visa Card for Students Review
The Scotiabank Scene Visa Card for Students is a popular option among Canadian students, offering impressive earning potential, various benefits, and some drawbacks. In this review, we will examine how this card earns points, its key benefits, two significant drawbacks, and other relevant information for potential cardholders.
1. Earning potential with the card: The Scotiabank Scene Visa Card for Students allows cardholders to earn Scene points, which can be redeemed for free movies, food, and more. Cardholders earn 5 Scene points per dollar spent at participating Cineplex Entertainment theatres or online at cineplex.com, as well as 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases. This offers a rewarding earning potential for those who frequently visit the cinema and enjoy entertainment-based rewards.
2. Benefit 1: One major advantage of this card is the 2,500 bonus Scene points offered upon signing up and spending a minimum of $500 in everyday purchases within the first three months. This bonus is equivalent to two free movie tickets at participating Cineplex theaters, providing an attractive incentive for movie enthusiasts.
3. Benefit 2: The second significant advantage of this card is that it comes with no annual fee. This feature makes it easier for students to maintain the card without worrying about added costs, allowing them to accumulate rewards over time.
4. Benefit 3: The card also offers a 25% discount on AVIS car rentals, a valuable perk for students who require occasional car rentals for travel or other needs.
5. Benefit 4: The free supplementary card allows authorized users to earn rewards under one account, making it convenient for group purchases or shared family expenses.
6. Drawback 1: One significant drawback of this card is that it offers limited redemption options. Scene points can primarily be redeemed for movie tickets and concession items at participating Cineplex theaters. While this may be attractive to frequent moviegoers, it may not appeal to users who prefer a more diverse selection of rewards categories.
7. Drawback 2: Another drawback is the lack of travel or purchase insurance benefits that are common in other credit cards. The absence of these features can be a disadvantage for users who value extensive protection for their trips or purchases.
8. Additional Information: It is worth considering that the card has a minimum income requirement of $12,000, making it accessible to a wider audience. Furthermore, students should think about how they typically spend and whether their spending habits align with the rewards offered by the Scotiabank Scene Visa Card for Students.
In conclusion, the Scotiabank Scene Visa Card for Students can be an excellent choice for Canadian students who frequently visit the cinema and enjoy entertainment-based rewards. The card’s earning potential, bonus points, no annual fee, car rental discount, and free supplementary card are appealing benefits. However, the limited redemption options and the absence of insurance coverage may deter users who seek more versatility in rewards and added protection. Prospective applicants should weigh these factors based on their spending habits and preferences before making a decision.
Is the Scotiabank Scene Visa Card for Students not convincing you? Consider the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card or the Scotiabank Scene Visa Card. Still not the right credit card? Make sure not to miss the Scotiabank US Dollar Visa Card.
- Card type: Visa
- Annual fee: $0
- Interest rate: 19.99% for purchases, 22.99% for cash advances
- Grace period: 21 days (interest-free)
- Balance transfer rate: 22.99%
- Earn rate: 5 Scene points per $1 spent at Cineplex theatres, 1 Scene point per $1 spent on everything else
- Credit limit: Minimum $500, varies based on applicant’s circumstances
- Credit score: Typically suited for average to good credit ratings
- Eligibility requirement: Canadian resident, minimum age varies by province or territory, currently enrolled in post-secondary education
- Security features: Zero liability protection and chip technology
- Reward expiry: Points expire after five years
- Supplementary card: Free